Sunday 25 March 2018

Day 2: Church and Beach Outreach - Nathan and Ethan!

Who are you?!

This is Ethan Andrews and Nathan Depner reporting from Santiago, Chile!





What have been some highlights of your trip so far?


Here is a quick recap of today. Firstly, we drove an hour an a half to Viña del Mar, a town on the pacific coast. We began with a church service with amazing worship and extremely welcoming congregation. We enjoyed their music, then we lead a song of our own. Thomas preached and then we had some mouth watering enchiladas for lunch. Afterwards, we departed to the beach where we evangelized for around two hours and we were successful. Here is a story about something that happened today...



Nathan and I (Ethan), along with translator approached an elderly lady sitting alone on a park bench. We introduced ourselves and what we were doing. She at first rejected us and our Hope magazine so we moved on. When we were walking away, our translator, Juan, said that he felt that we should go back to her, as something was urging him to do so. At this point, he asked one of us to come along with him back to the Carmen, so I returned with him. Juan talked to her in Spanish for a while and

then explained to me what she said. He told me that her name was Carmen, and that she was sick and was feeling down. I then started to do as we were trained and explained the Hope magazine to her. She seemed interested but she remained silent. I then felt like my testimony would fit very well in this situation, so I shared it. I will not go into great detail, but my sister had cancer as a child and ever since has been struggling with many health problems. She has had three major surgeries since her cancer but every time she has recovered. After sharing this with her, I looked up and saw that Carmen was in tears. I then shared with her Psalm 23 v 4 from the front of the Hope magazine "even when I walk through the darkest valley I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me., Your rod and staff protect and comfort me".  I then prayed for her and I was on the verge of tears. Half an hour later we noticed that she was still flipping through the magazine. In the end, Carmen needed hope and that is exactly what we gave her through the Hope magazine.

We finished the day with a lovely half an hour round trip trek to McDonalds for ice cream only to be informed that they close the ice cream machines at 7:00 :(    .............  don't worry, we still got some elsewhere :)


We ask that you pray for our continued energy and success here in Chile. Pray for health and confidence.


God has shown us his grace through this trip so far. We feel as if he is calling us to give people hope in Chile. We have already experienced many powerful works, and he will surely show more.




5 comments:

  1. Your blog brought some tears to my eyes. Those are amazing stories. Thanks for being so open to share on this and more importantly to the people in Chile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love this! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys! Love hearing the updates. It's so encouraging to hear these stories back here, and is a good reminder to look to the holy spirit to lead us in our everyday life, and to act on his promptings. Would the lord continue to do great things in and around you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool that the translator felt God's tug to go back, and that you Ethan followed the call as well. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing this with tears in my eyes! What an incredible experience for all of you. Praying for you daily. Thank-you for the updates!

    ReplyDelete